Teaching is what the student teachers came here to do, and they were eager to get into the routine of teaching. They seemed to settle in fast, thanks to the support of their cooperating teachers and the enthusiasm of their students, who were very excited to have American teachers. Take a few moments to get acquainted with this group, the 3rd cohort of Wilkes University student teachers in Malaysia:
1. Amanda Bast is seeking certification in Pre-K through Grade 4, Early Childhood, and Special Education. Under the tutelage of Miss Jeaniene Ganisan, Miss Amanda is teaching Mathematics, Moral Education, Physical Education, Art, English, and English Oral to some very lively and lovable second graders. Meet Miss Amanda:
Miss Amanda by the board with Miss Jeaniene in blue
Miss Amanda with the children of Standard 2.
2. Paige Trusty is near completion of her degree in Mathematics, with a secondary teaching certificate enabling her to teach Mathematics to students in grades 7-12 (Form 1-O/A Levels). Her cooperating teacher is Mr. Casey Dhevan. Meet Miss Paige:
Paige Trusty with the students of Form 4B (Sophomores)
Miss Paige gives plenty of real-life examples to help her students wrap their minds around linear graphing.
3. Chase English (all 6’6″ of him) will soon be certified in Pre-K through Grade 4. He has established a wonderful rapport with students and staff alike! His cooperating teacher is Mr. Alfred Sy, who has welcomed Mr Chase as an equal partner. Meet Mr. Chase
Mr. Chase at the new Jungle Jim for the Kindy students.
Mr. Chase with two colleagues en route to class
4. Mitch Yamrus is pursuing his degree in Biology with a teaching certificate in Secondary Education, 7th through 12th grade. Mr. Mitch is being mentored by Miss Zainurain Binti Zainal Abidin, and he is teaching Biology and General Science to Forms 1-5 (High School). Meet Mr. Mitch:
Mr. Mitch and Miss Ain
Mr. Mitch teaching a lesson on ecosystems
5. Robin Sorber will soon graduate with a degree enabling her to teach Pre-K through Grade 4. Ms Robin’s cooperating teacher is Mrs. Lalaida Appukutan, and Robin is feeling very comfortable with her colleagues in the Kindy . The children have really taken to Miss Robin! Meet her:
Miss Robin looks after the Kindy students after a swimming class.
Miss Robin gets these enthusiastic reactions no matter what the question!
6. Last but not least is Rachel Gill, who is soon to graduate with a degree in Chemistry and a certification to teach secondary students. Her cooperating teacher is Miss Shariza Sharir, and the two of them have become good partners and colleagues. Rachel teaches Chemistry and General Science to students in Form 1-5 (Grades 7-11). Meet Miss Rachel:
Miss Rachel running a lab
Miss Rachel holds an introductory lesson on basic cell structure.
While their days are filled with teaching and lesson planning, they do manage to get out and experience the sights of the local area. Next: the 2014 trip to Hindu holy site, the Batu Caves.